At Back Office Betties, we do a ‘Betties Book Brief’ to keep our approach fresh and implement ways we can improve. This month we chose, Free PR: How to get chased by the press without hiring a PR firm. This book teaches you how to perfect your pitch, build media relationships, and get buzz-worthy coverage, without having to spend a fortune on running ads or hiring a PR firm. This book is an amazing resource for small and large businesses alike, because who doesn’t want to master the art of free PR?!
Emily’s 5 Takeaway’s
For me, this book had 5 important takeaways that I wanted to share with you all in hopes it will help you in your pursuit towards becoming your own PR company.
- You MUST find out where your ideal clients are hanging out. Do the research and find out what blogs do they read, what podcasts do they listen to and what events do they attend? I reached out to several of my clients and attorney friends to ask this question and was blown away by the answer. I thought I knew the ‘who’s who’ of the legal world, but I now know otherwise. There are dozens of specialty conferences, podcasts and blogs that I didn’t have on my radar.
- Create new angles and pitches for each medium. Use popular buzz words and news to create angles that weave in current news.
- There are five major story archetypes such as: Culture, Overcoming Adversity, Customer Story, Leveraging Technology, and The Future.
- Keyword tools will make this process easier! Check out BuzzSumo, Google Trends, or SEMRush. These analytics tools provide information about keywords and search volume.
- Yes, it is possible to get published in 7 stories a month! Read Free PR to learn how former COO of 1-800-GOT-JUNK, Cameron Herold fired his PR company and tackled PR in-house with incredible results (can we say Oprah?!).
I hope this has inspired you to read the full book and take in all it has to offer! This book is a powerhouse full of great information that can change your firm forever! Get out there and start mastering the art of Free PR!