https://backofficebetties.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Betties-Logo-300x86-1.png 0 0 Rachel Bauer https://backofficebetties.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Betties-Logo-300x86-1.png Rachel Bauer2022-03-14 17:25:272022-03-14 17:29:49Betties’ Favorite Recipe: Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas
- 1 ½ pound (2 medium/large) sweet potatoes
- 1 medium red onion (about 1 cup finely diced)
- 15-oz can of black beans
- 8 ounce can diced green chilies
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups salsa verde
- 8 ounces Colby Jack cheese, shredded
- 10 8-in flour tortillas
- Topping choices: sour cream, chopped cilantro, guacamole, pico de gallo, feta, queso fresco
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Boil the sweet potatoes: Dice the sweet potatoes into roughly ¾-inch cubes (skin can be left on or removed). Place sweet potatoes in a pot and cover with 1 inch of water. Add a pinch of sale. Bring to a boil and cook until tender when pierced with a fork, around 7-12 minutes. Drain.
- Prep the filling: Finely dice the onion. Drain and rinse the black beans. In a large bowl, combine the cooked sweet potato, red onion, black beans, green chilies, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and fresh ground black pepper. Mix to combine.
- Roll the enchiladas: Warm the tortillas for a minute in the microwave, or in a pan for a few seconds per side, so that they are flexible. In a large baking dish or rimmed baking sheet, spread 1 cup of the salsa verde. Fill each tortilla with a ½ cup scoop of the fillings, add 2 tablespoons of the cheese, and roll it up. Place each enchilada seam-side down in the baking dish. Repeat for the remaining tortillas.
- Top with salsa and cheese: When all enchiladas are in the dish, top with the remaining 1 cup of salsa verde and the remaining cheese.
- Bake: Place in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Serve: Garnish with sour cream, chopped cilantro, and other garnishes as desired!