If you are not using intake forms for new clients, you should consider re-thinking your intake process. Using a detailed standardized intake form will streamline the process and ensure that important details have not been over looked. If taking intake forms has not been working for you then perhaps your forms need a facelift. Here are some suggestions of what it should include is:
- Contact information
- Details of the legal issue (some firms put checklist here)
- History of prior legal matters
- Other firms they have worked with
- And any other information they feel is relevant to the matter
If the form is too basic, or if it does not apply, then it won’t be helpful. Sometimes you need to offer different intake forms for the different services you offer. Some firms choose to do online intake forms through Clio to make their lives even easier.
Intake Forms Are Versatile
Offering intake forms are useful for areas other than just streamlining the intake process. They can be used as:
- A screening tool. If a prospective client is unwilling or hesitant to provide certain information, it could be a sign of problems to come.
- A be place to document that you have discussed with your prospective client the fee arrangement and they have agreed to the terms you set forth. This helps you know right from the beginning if the prospective client can even afford your services.
- A risk management tool. Having clients sign that the information on the intake form is correct can save you in the future if something is incorrect or inaccurate.
- And they can help you identify if a potential client needs any additional legal services that you may be able to help with in the future.
Intake Forms Are Useful
As you can see, intake forms are infinitely useful and can be implemented in any firm. And remember, they’re not just a tool to make life better for you- your prospective clients will also love them because they offer an easier, neater, more streamlined process for them too! When during sometimes long, expensive, and messy legal matters, every little effort made by you to make things easier is recognized and appreciated.
– Back Office Betties